The Shark Cage®: A practical framework for addressing vulnerability and re-victimisation in women who are victims of abuse and domestic violence.
All too often women who present with symptoms of depression and anxiety have a history of abuse. Many of these clients have had multiple experiences of abuse often beginning in childhood. In fact it has been found that childhood experiences of physical or sexual abuse render women almost twice as likely to experience domestic violence in adulthood (Mouzos & Makkai, 2004). Women often believe that they must be to blame for abuse in their lives if it keeps happening. The Shark Cage® framework will assist professionals and their clients to understand re-victimisation in a way that does not blame the victim.
In five easy to follow steps, The Shark Cage® Framework gives professionals and clients the knowledge and tools to feel empowered and actively decrease the likelihood of further victimisation in the client’s life. Ursula will provide an explanation and demonstration of each step and guide participants in experiential learning. Strictly limited participant numbers will allow opportunities for practice and coaching. The broad therapeutic approaches used in The Shark Cage® Framework are psycho-education, cognitive behavioural therapy and skills training.
This training will be useful for generalist counsellors, psychologists, social workers, refuge workers, family support workers, family violence case managers, school welfare staff and other support workers who encounter women who have experienced abuse in their life or vulnerable young women.
By the end of this training participants will be able to:
1. Use The Shark Cage® metaphor with women to externalise the issue of violence against women and challenge self blame in a simple and engaging way.
2. Assist women to identify what bars they want to install or strengthen in their Shark Cage and link this activity to a human rights framework.
3. Help women to activate an alarm system in their renovated Shark Cage. This involves helping women tune into feelings and body sensations.
4. Help women to prepare for and respond to Shark Cage breaches when it is safe to do so. This involves assertiveness training with an emphasis on boundary setting and defending.
5. Draw out a woman’s intimate knowledge of Sharks and turn this knowledge into a radar for spotting sharks at a distance.
- Training Folder
- Morning Tea
- Afternoon Tea
- Certificate of attendance
Registrations & Bookings
To book for the Shark Cage Training please fill in our Registration Form by clicking the button below.
Registration Fee is $365.00 or ($315.00 for Early Bird Bookings), payable by credit card or paypal.
PLEASE NOTE: Places cannot be confirmed before payment is received.